Hero for Bravery Award: Just for YOU! Yes YOU!


You are a hero, so am I.

You are brave, so am I.

Recently I watched a 'hero' movie, "My All American". In a grand hollywood ending, the 'hero' walked out onto a football field and an entire stadium full of people stood up and cheered him.

That should be us, we folks who are challenged every day with mental illness. We should be getting those cheers every day that we make it through another day without quitting.


Oh, I know that the idea of a hero usually indicates public acknowledgement. But let's forget that part and just think of the part where you didn't give up. At the end of each day when you go to bed you should imagine a stadium full of people cheering you on and saying "way to go, you made it through another day!"


Before crawling into that bed, you could even do a victory dance!

But alas, there is no crowd. There are no accolades. The battle with mental illness is done in solitude, it is a silent war.





I found an article about someone who deals with depression who actually has won a hero award - and for her depression struggle! Her name is Deborah and here is what she said: 

“I never thought I’d suffer from depression or need therapy but there’s no shame in admitting you need help.

“Now I’m an open book and happy to share my experience with others. I’m proof that you can go through hard times and come out of the other side stronger than ever.”

If you'd like to read the complete article check out at The Daily Record.

Another hero, Isabel McCue, received an award in her efforts to create supports for those struggling with depression after her own son, who had been depressed for several years, took his own life. Maybe you would like to read her story.

These folks received public recognition as heroes! So you see, we are like them, we are heroes too, even without that public recognition. 

I know you don't feel like a hero, but you are. You are your own hero. It is not public for you, or me, it is private, but nonetheless, the behaviours you have exhibited today, just by NOT GIVING UP, can inspire you for tomorrow.

You are your own HERO!

You are winning a battle every day that you don't quit!


So here is your 'HERO FOR BRAVERY' award.




Make a copy of it, maybe even several copies, and post it around the house to remind yourself of how much 'not quitting' really means. 'Not quitting' is a big deal, every single day.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? I am sure you have never thought of yourself as a hero. But what about now? If you are reading this, you haven't quit so you are a hero, a hero for depression.

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?