Hope for Depression from the Womb: Part 6 of Lessons for Depression from my Grandchildren


There is HOPE FOR DEPRESSION!
Let me say it again:
'THERE IS HOPE FOR DEPRESSION'!

It has been a bit of fun gleaning some new lessons for depression from various personality traits of my six grandchildren . You probably assume, since I seem so familiar with their unique characteristics, that I spend a lot of time with them. But that is not the case.

The word 'grandmother' probably conjures up all sorts of cozy scenes of homemade cookies, sleepovers and babysitting. But that is not the case with this Grandma.

Yes, I see them; yes, I love them; yes, I enjoy them, but in small doses and mostly short visits and usually with their parents along to shoulder the responsibility. Because of the limitations of mental illness I am not the sleepover Grandma or the babysitting Grandma.

Unknown Object
I have to accept that this is not all bad. I do help out now and then but only if my husband can help too. I don't have the physical or emotional stamina to do it on my own.

It has taken me years to accept this about myself. I am thankful (and I admit a little jealous) that the other Grandmas in their lives can help with babysitting and sleepovers and all sorts of other fun stuff. It makes me feel a little less guilty, since I am unable to provide those kinds of things.

But the grandchildren know nothing of my limitations. They visit me with arms wide open and no thoughts that I don't babysit and all of that other fun stuff. They take me as I am.

I can't introduce you to Grandchild #7 yet. He/she hasn't been born yet but I will name this one 'Hope'.

A new baby brings new hope for everyone.

Depression does not have to make us give up on our hopes - our hopes for recovery, our hopes of being able to do things that depression may have taken away. Keep hoping.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? Have you learned anything from Limitless, Reticence, Snuggles, Emoticon, Pounder, Shrieker or Hope?
Maybe you have children in your life who you could take some lessons from?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?