"I am a successful business woman", did you know that about me?

Let me tell you about it. For most of my adult working years I was a self-employed artist. I specialized in hand-painted signs, mailboxes, furniture, milk cans and all sorts of other neat things.

 I also taught decorative painting, popularly known back then as 'folk art'. I certainly did not make much money but I enjoyed it. I could work from home, which was important to me and I could even take my kids along to craft shows. In many ways it was a family business.


During that time, I developed the bad habit of saying "I am so stupid" every time I made a mistake, whether it was to do with business or not. One day it dawned on me that my precious daughters were hearing their mother, who shares the same DNA as them, say, "I am so stupid" repeatedly.

Unknown Object
I decided to change that. I said to them, "Please forgive me for calling myself stupid. I'm not stupid at all. No one in this family is stupid. From now on you can correct me if I say that."

It became a game of sorts. And the phrase, "I'm so stupid", gradually grew into, "I am so smart". Eventually we applied it to my little business and it became, "I am a successful business woman." 

We used any excuse to say that phrase. I would get a new order and someone would say, "You are a successful business woman." 

After a successful craft show, I would come home and say to my family, "Did you know that I am a successful business woman?" We used any excuse to say it and had fun with it. Sometimes we said it for no reason at all.

But you know what? There was power in those positive words spoken over and over and over, even though we considered it just a family game. It felt good to say, "I am a successful business woman," especially when in reality, in some ways, I was not very successful at all. 

Oh sure, I did make some money, a profit actually, but a small one. And yes, I did enjoy it. Also I got a lot of praise and admiration for the quality of my work. That was nice too.  

Every time I would say "I am a successful business woman" it was a little momentary depression getaway.

Now I know that saying, "I'm a successful business woman," wasn't a magic formula, which would automatically come true, if I said it often enough. But that positive statement sure did drown out some of the negative thoughts I might obsess over. And it certainly was better than, "I am so stupid."



Here's a challenge. Finish this sentence:

"I AM A SUCCESSFUL ___________."

I think I may have inspired myself today. I have just made a little sign and taped it to my computer. It says "I am a successful blogger!"

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? What negative things are you saying to yourself that you could change right now? Is there a negative statement that you repeat either out loud or in your head that could use some improvement?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.




Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?