Is Positive Thinking even an option for Depression?


Positive thinking can seem impossible when you are depressed.

Positive thinking and Depression, oh that it would work!

But maybe it can?

Unknown Object
Now I know that one positive thought cannot turn around this serious mental illness. And certainly grasping onto a positive quote may not miraculously turn around a depressive episode.

How does that relate to positive thinking and depression?
If you are right in the middle of a depressive episode, a good positive thought such as 

"Change your thoughts and you can change your world" Norman Vincent Peale

 may not puncture one single hole in that depressive armour. When I am totally depressed and I hear these kinds of quotes I say 'ya right' and dismiss it.

But positive thinking anytime, all the time, can create a good foundation and strengthen your position when you are facing thoughts so negative that you wish you were dead.

If positive thoughts become a habit then maybe some of them can even seep through that thick dark layer of depressive thoughts.

We know that we can change our world by the way we think. And yes we know that it is hard to change the way you think while you are depressed.

But does that mean it's impossible and we shouldn't even try?

Let me give you an example. Here is a situation in my life that I can look at two ways, both are totally true.

Perspective #1
One of the things that drives me nuts about my husband is that HE IS INTERESTED IN EVERYTHING. He's not discriminating at all. He doesn't prioritze. He's an information junkie. He finds it hard to eliminate one piece of information over another. He's constantly reading me stuff which I'm not interested in. He keeps buying books even though he hasn't read half of the books he owns. He finds it hard to eliminate things in his life, imaging that each one may have value...someday.

Perspective #2
One of the things that I admire about my husband is that HE IS INTERESTED IN EVERYTHING. No matter what I wish to share with him, he finds it interesting. He reads voraciously. He is constantly reading me stuff which has informed me and often inspired me.The most boring person at a party that no one likes, he finds interesting! His curiosity knows no limits, he is absolutely brilliant. You can take him anywhere and he will find something that fascinates him. He is enthusiastic, fascinated and inquisitive. What's not to like about that?

Both of these descriptions of my husband are true but dwelling on the first one, the negative one, will just lead me to find more things about his behaviours to get annoyed about. Dwelling on the second description makes me smile, brings me joy and helps me continue to be 'happily married', at least most of the time!  Thinking about my husband this way makes me appreciate him more, and enjoy him more. It makes me happier to dwell on these kinds of thoughts than on the first set of thoughts.

Do you see what I am saying? There is an extent to which, even within the confines of depression, that we can choose to think positively. However, we need to choose those positive thoughts when we feel well and develop those habits of positive thinking so they have a chance to carry over into the tough times.

Next time I'm going to introduce you to some of the pioneers of positive thinking.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Do you have a favourite positive quote?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?