"Merry" on the Outside doesn't mean "Merry" on the Inside: Part 5 of Taking Control of Christmas Chaos


Christmas is popular in so many ways. 

'Christmas' sells. Movies based on a Christmas theme and books about Christmas are top sellers. They are all about love.

What's not to love about love?

I enjoy Christmas movies. You can usually count on pretty scenery and happy endings and they are wholesome enough that the whole family can watch together. That is a lovely depression getaway for me! I am able to realize that they are not real and I do not compare my life to them. They are strictly entertainment.


 My old favourite is 'Miracle on 34th Street' both the original version and the newer one. 

Next might be 'The Holiday', not necessarily about Christmas but it ends up there. 

Then there is 'White Christmas'. When my girls were little that would be their go to movie every time they got sick, no matter what time of year it was.

Hallmark really knows how to make Christmas movies that are beautiful, heartwarming and wholesome! You may want to check out this list of the best Hallmark Christmas movies.

But beware and be careful. If those kinds of movies make you depressed, then stay away. If you are tempted to compare your life or your decorated house with what you see in the movies, you might be headed for a pitfall. Some of them are very emotional and may bring up some sad memories for you. I love a good cry though. Strangely, for me, a good cry can be a great depression getaway! Is that silly?

There may be several aspects of this season that can trigger depression and it's good to be aware of them and avoid the pitfalls. Decorating the tree often brings to mind sadness for me as I hang ornaments filled with memories of Christmases gone by. 

One part of Christmas that I find difficult is missing the people that I loved who are no longer here. If you have lost a loved one this year, Christmas will be especially challenging for you. Grief makes Christmas hard. 

Also media depicts an unreal expectation of Christmas

These are just two things that can challenge anyone at this time of year, whether they have depression or not. The main thing is to know that the season has potential to be stressful and sad and there may be some triggers you should be aware of as you enter into these holidays.

11 Tips for Avoiding Holiday Depression Triggers gives lots of ideas for coping with the season.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? "Merry"? Or is the coming of Christmas making things hard for you?

May you be able to take control of Christmas chaos this year and not let Christmas chaos take control of you.

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?