Moody Foody, Part 2: The Food Drug



Food or Mood - Who's in charge anyways?

Food and mood? Is there anybody out there who has NOT noticed that relationship? 

Are there any parents out there who have NOT noticed that your kids misbehave shortly after you give them sugar?

Anyone feel deliriously tired after a turkey dinner?

Unknown Object
If you've been reading this blog for awhile you know that I will try just about anything to lessen the symptoms of my bipolar disorder.

 There is a challenge inherent in that however. Bipolar means that my mood changes all the time. Even when I find something that helps me a little bit, I often can't stick with it. My mood changes and I give up.

But changing my food (not DIETING) seems to have helped that very problem. My moods don't change to the extreme that they used to. 

For any of you who like to research and for those of you who need more proof that eating influences mood, here is some reading:

How Food Changed Bipolar for Me

Five Foods to Avoid if you have Bipolar Disorder

Foods and Nutrients for Mania and Depression

Mood, Food and Bipolar Disorder: a New Prescription

Mood Food: Can what you Eat affect your Mood?

If you need more evidence, perhaps more articles that apply to any kind of mental illness, not just bipolar, then google 'food and mood' and you will be inundated with proof.

In many respects, food will be the most powerful drug you will ever take because you are using this drug at least three times a day for the rest of your life. Thus your diet can be your greatest ally or worst enemy because the hormonal rules for humans haven’t changed in the past 150,000 years, and they probably won’t change tomorrow.”

FOOD IS AN ESSENTIAL COMPONENT IN MANAGING MENTAL ILLNESS.

FEELING GOOD, really feeling good is a rarity, a luxury when you have any kind of chronic mood disorder. Changing your food choices may help that.

Next time I will give specific examples of how you can change your food in order to change your mood.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Fat? Bloated? Depressed? Moody? Or wonderful, happy, slim? How would you like to feel?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.



Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?