My Little Dog Drug


I mean it seemed like a good idea at the time - a therapy dog, or emotional support dog, just for me. 

First the search, a little stressful since there were so many considerations, size, breed, puppy or adult, male or female, etc.

We narrowed it down to one tiny dog, a Yorkie named Casey. Since we live in an apartment a small dog was a must. But honestly, I never pictured myself as one of those women carrying my dog around in my purse, but here I am!


This little fellow, Casey, has brought me new joy that I haven't known in a long time. He soothes my raw nerves. He comforts me, entertains me, he loves me! And I love him back. He reminds me that I am still capable of good feelings.


What an antidote for depression.




What a super drug - the dog drug!


Even when I am out with him (he goes just about everywhere with me), he brings comfort and joy to me as well as many strangers who want to pet him. I have heard more dog stories in this past month than I have in my whole life!

And jokes - the favourite one is "I've got a cat at home twice that size" or "my dog could eat your dog for breakfast".

I like to give personal updates now and then on my journey with bipolar depression. I have talked about my experiments with food, exercise, therapy, medications, relaxation techniques and now pet therapy! 

One of my main purposes in writing this blog, aside from giving me something to do, is to encourage you never to give up! To encourage you to keep trying new things to help your situation.

 I couldn't imagine that there is anything more I could try, but I have said that before. Pet therapy so far has been all positive and very successful.

I am so glad I have never given up on the search for new ways to help myself. The trial and error journey has been worth it. My husband keeps reminding me, even on my bad days 'Wendy, you have been so much worse than this. You have made progress!'

And now this little, little, little dog is helping me to make BIG progress.

So wonderful to share something good like that.

Here is my little Casey in his lifejacket! Who knew? Life jackets for dogs!



WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Do you have a pet? Is this something that you might want to try? Is there anything else you haven't tried yet to help you with depression?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.






Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?