Social Media - Depression Getaway or Depression Destination?


I remember the first time I went on facebook, many years ago. I had no idea how it worked but it sure was easy. As soon as I was on there I got friend requests from several people. I felt quite vulnerable and a little paranoid. How did they know I was on Facebook? I just got on there only moments ago! I had no understanding of how it worked and I didn't ask anyone to explain it to me. Impulsively (which is my nature) I cancelled my account. (Probably one of my irrational bipolar moments).

Unknown Object
A few years later I tried again. This time a little more aware of how things worked but still niave. I enjoyed it for awhile but then a post came up which was offensive which I had not put on. I was worried about how I might 'look' having such awful stuff on my page. Not knowing how it got there and how I could remove it and prevent stuff like that from happening again, I cancelled my account.

The years went by and I became a grandmother. Pictures of my grandchildren were being posted on Facebook. Friends would say "oh that was such a cute picture of your new grandbaby on Facebook" and I was missing out. So once again I got onto Facebook. 

I learned how to screen things and why strangers were asking to be friends and how to stop that. And of course I thoroughly enjoyed those pictures of my grandkids. I even started enjoying pictures of many other friends my age with their grandkids. Facebook became fun for awhile. And then once again, in one of my moods, I deleted.

I guess I did not really like Facebook. I didn't like being 'faced' with all of the 'happy family photos'. I fell under the illusion that everyone had happier lives than I did. Depression tells you that anyways, I didn't need Facebook to make it worse.  And I really didn't enjoy reading all of the comments about all of these things. 

One of my symptoms with depression is to suffer from information overload. Plus, I am an introvert, so maybe social media is just too social for me.

Social media just doesn't suit me. I don't think it makes me more depressed but I am sure it does not help.

Having said that I went on Facebook one more time a couple of years ago. I read that it was good to be on Facebook and put your blog posts on there. That is why I went back on. But this time I have figured out a way to enjoy it more and feel less overwhelmed.

 I don't 'follow' anyone. If I want to see what someone is up to I visit their page and read for awhile. So when I open my Facebook page there is nothing but me there. So far that works. It prevents me from feeling overwhelmed and depressed by social media.

I am also on Instagram, again for the pictures of grandkids and nieces and nephews. I follow family only. And I don't post myself so I am not even tempted to go on and see who 'likes' what I've got.

I don't use any other social media.

My point is this - social media can be dangerous, even depressing.

Recently I watched a documentary on Netflix called "Kirk Cameron - Connect". I would recommend it. It is especially geared toward parents. There are some enlightening warnings and helpful tips.

It is different for everyone, my experience may not be your experience. But it is worth talking about the pitfalls of social media for depression.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you doing today? Do you enjoy social media? Does it lift your mood or drag it down? Have you ever thought about it?

We'll chat a little more next time about it.

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?