JOY! The Universal Tonic


Joy as a tonic? Does anybody disagree with that?

"Joy - to experience great pleasure or delight."

Is that even possible if you are depressed?
After all, wouldn't joy and depression be at opposite ends of the spectrum of emotions. Is it possible to experience both at the same time?

Well, first you, each of us, must identify what gives us joy.

For me, the sight of one of my grandchildren coming to visit brings me joy. That is just one example. What comes to your mind when you think of joy?

And there are more things: a hot bath, a nice chat with my sister (who lives far away), a phone call with one of my daughters, a beautiful sunset or sunrise, flowers from my husband and that is just the beginning.

It is too easy, almost natural, when depressed to not even bother doing the things that bring us joy. I mean, why bother? What difference would it make anyways? I mean the joy doesn't last so what's the point?

My answer? Some joy is better than no joy. Short-lived joy is better than no joy. Infusing joy into your life could even produce more joy, could it not?

“When something joyous happens, the emotional and physical response occurs right away because all of these things are happening simultaneously in the body.”

With an illness like depression it is too easy to forget about joy altogether. "Joy? I'd just like to feel good enough to get up each day and face the world!"

Depression is not only the onslaught of negative thoughts and emotions, but over the long term it can also create the absence of emotions - especially good ones.

Allowing yourself to experience joy can remind you that you are not dead yet. You are still capable of feeling good, even if only for a moment.

Forgetting joy - how sad. 

I know, I know, that depression is the opposite of joy. Even though that is true does that mean joy has to be absent in our lives? Don't we deserve a little joy? Couldn't we benefit from the benefits of joy?

Yes, and in that way we are just like everyone else. We can all benefit from the benefits of joy. 

JOY is the universal tonic.

Next time I am going to tell you about something that gives me joy that I have just started doing every week.

So I have a challenge for you today. Do something that brings you joy. Only you can decide what that is. It's personal. But I am sure when I say 'joy' something must come to mind.

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? What brings you joy? Are you ready to take the challenge?

Don't give up! There is hope for depression.


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?