Tidings of Comfort and Joy




 When you think of depression, the words 'comfort' or 'joy' do not come to mind right?

I mean 'COMFORT'? Really? Absolutely no! Depression is not comfortable, it is quite the opposite - uncomfortable!

And 'JOY'? Well 'joy' and 'depression' are not even distant cousins.


And yet my new little Yorkie, Casey, my 'therapy dog' is my comfort and joy this Christmas season.

When I am at my most uncomfortable he lies on my lap like an angel, providing warmth, soothing, and comfort. Petting him levels my anxiety to something reasonable. Petting him sooths my irritating thoughts. Petting him helps me forget about myself.

And on a bad day his silly antics bring me joy. I mean he's crazy about me (he is a dog after all) and shows it constantly. Each time we are apart, whether for overnight while we sleep, or just for a few minutes, he greets me as if I was the most important person in the whole world. Why he doesn't even know I have depression. It makes no difference to him.

Depression is a selfish illness. In order to survive you must think about yourself and your needs. But my little Casey makes me unselfish quite often as I must think of his needs too. Those unselfish moments are a nice getaway from my own depression.

And at this time of year I must think of the ultimate deliverer of comfort and joy - our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He brought tidings of comfort and joy way back when he was born and he still does today.

May you know that comfort and joy this Christmas season and always.

Don't give up! There is hope for depression, even at Christmas!



And he's fun to dress up too. Here he is in his life-jacket!

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?