Covid Labour Pains - "Just Breathe"




If anyone told me when I was in labour with my first baby, that it would be 36 hours before she appeared, I wonder what I would have done? I might have panicked, but, not knowing what was ahead, I managed, one contraction at a time. My husband and I were well-equipped with weeks of Lamaze training and I can still hear him saying 'just breathe'.

And if anyone told me, when the first covid lockdowns were announced in March of 2020, that a year later we would be no further ahead, I wonder what we would have thought? I wonder how we may have reacted? For me, the only thing that made it manageable was the thought that it wouldn't last that long.

I remember in March 2020 while we were in Myrtle Beach for the winter, we got a notice via email from our out-of-country health insurance provider announcing that our insurance would run out soon, due to covid, and we needed to get back to Canada as soon as possible. Instead of panicking, I had to pack up and keep saying to myself 'just breathe'.

It was an unreal experience for all of us. As we headed home we were driving into the unknown. There were signs along the highway saying "STAY HOME, STOP THE SPREAD". It seemed as though we were in a war zone, and in a way, we were, and are.


When we got home we quarantined for fourteen days. It was not a hardship. What's 14 days? No big deal. All we had to do was 'breathe'.

JUST BREATHE

If someone had told us that we would be going through this pandemic for over a year, how might we have reacted? We would do the same thing we are doing right now, taking things one day at a time. It's really how we are supposed to live no matter what is happening, one day at a time.

If you want to get serious about breathing right now, if you want to know exactly how to breathe in order to reduce anxiety then read these instructions from Anxiety Canada.

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Even mental illness can only be handled one day at a time. Could you imagine when you were hitting a new depressive episode and someone said to you "this time it is going to last for 3 years" - yikes!

So wait, is this post about 'breathing' or about 'one day at a time'?

Both. So my advice to all of us whether we are dealing with covid confinement or depression or both is to 

JUST BREATHE AND TAKE THINGS ONE DAY AT A TIME

But wait! So what do the covid labour pains produce? The vaccine which will, like a baby, bring new hope. We wait and see.

WHAT ABOUT ME? How am I coping with Covid? Thankfully pretty good most of the time. My depression is no worse but no better either. Honestly, I am getting weary of it all as are most people. Am I able to handle anything one day at a time? Yes and no. Covid, yes. Depression? I'm not so sure. But I do have a pep talk when a new depressive episode hits: "Okay Wendy, you have been through this before and come out the other side. It may not even last that long. Cancel whatever you must, and rest. Take it one day at a time."

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Do you remember where you were when they announced that the schools were closing and that people were going to start working from home? How are you coping with covid? Is your mental state worse or better or the same during covid? Is the reminder to "just breathe and take things one day at a time"  helpful to you right now? Does anything help? Do you have any helpful tips for the rest of us?

Don't give up! You are not alone I'm praying for you! There is hope for depression.






Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?