Jenga: A Toppling Tower of Fun


Jenga. Do you know this game? Are you a game player? Now, during a pandemic is a great time to start if you aren't. And if you are, do get those old games out of the cupboard and get going. 

What does the game 'Jenga' have to do with the pandemic? What does Jenga have to do with depression?

This delightful manipulative game can serve so many purposes during these tedious covid days. Any game could help really. Games take us out of ourselves. Games give us a chance to NOT THINK ABOUT COVID for a little while. Games force us into interacting in a fun way with those we are isolating with. And the amazing game Jenga can even be played alone!

If you don't already have a Jenga game, you can order one online. There are even instructions for making your own, either an indoor size or bigger for out on the deck.

Now, what does a Jenga game have to do 

with mental illness?

If you have been reading my blog then you will know that I live with bipolar disorder. The strategies I share in this blog are ones that I use and can be applied to any sort of mental disorder, all of them contributing to depression.

Handling bipolar, as with any mental disorder, is a balancing act, much like the game Jenga. Even if you are fortunate enough to find a medication that helps, and/or a therapist that helps, there are still many other factors to manage in order to keep some sort of stability. These could be diet, exercise, sleep, etc.

A BALANCING ACT 

Dealing with stressful situations can cause those mental disorder symptoms to worsen and goodness knows, everyone all over the world right now is dealing with one big huge stressful situation with this pandemic.

I feel like my emotional life is much like this Jenga game. Once I take out a few important pieces (some of my coping strategies) my emotions become unstable which could lead to major depression.

This pandemic can have that effect on people too. A good day could become a bad day just by listening to the news. A 'green zone' could change into a 'red zone' preventing you from seeing loved ones or even just from getting out of the house. Some people are overwhelmed with fear. This list is long.

 Playing games can be great therapy during these times. 

The game Jenga causes everyone to have a good laugh and laughter is great therapy for everyone, not just those who are battling depression.

Using your hands in Jenga provides further therapy. Working with your hands does wonders for your brain.

How about you? Are you feeling a little like a wobbly Jenga tower these days?

I am. Each piece removed during this game makes the tower more unstable. Which will be the last piece to cause it to crash? How much farther can I go?

With bipolar, my life is like this even on a good day! But during Covid0-19 it can be like this every day for a lot of people. I have to remind myself of my coping strategies all the time. 

Jenga is only one example of a game that can be a great addition to your tricks for "Coping with Covid".

WHAT ABOUT ME? Truthfully I am not doing any worse with bipolar during covid than usual. But I do love games. We played a lot of games over the years with our growing kids. We have special friends our own age that we love playing games with too, but not these days. Covid has prevented that. My husband and I play cards or scrabble now and then and it is a nice break from TV. Confession - I haven't brought out the Jenga game yet, but after I finish this post I think I will! 

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Do you have any games that are helping you not just fill in some time, but helping you cope with depression during this pandemic? Would it be possible that some of the strategies that help cope with depression could also help cope with this pandemic?

Don't give up! I am praying for you. There is hope for depression.




 

 



 

Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?