Six Pandemic Projects


What sorts of projects have you tackled since this pandemic broke out? You've had a whole year, right?

I've got some ideas in case you need a little inspiration:

1. Get reacquainted with an old friend.

2. Pick up on an old hobby.

3. Sort out some closets.

4. Plan a fantasy trip.

5.Finish something you started. 

6. Read a book.

Those are just a few ideas. I'm sure you can add some of your own. The main thing is to do something. You can't just watch TV every day all day. Or can you?

PROJECTS GIVE PURPOSE

Projects can not only fill your days but give you a purpose and a reason to get up in the morning. And if you finish those projects with a good result, you have even more reason to feel good, you will have a sense of accomplishment.

PROJECTS SUPPORT GOOD MENTAL HEALTH

Having a project can be good for your mental health as well. Even though it can be hard to motivate yourself to do anything when you are depressed, it might not be totally impossible. And if you have some ongoing hobbies like I do, then there may be something you have already begun (like a hand-sewing project) that you can pick up for a while even when you are depressed.

ANCESTRY.COM

My husband enjoys doing genealogy research. He has upgraded his Ancentry.com account so he can go further afield. He has been doing it for years, but now with more time on his hands, he is spending even more time on it. He has expanded it to do with one of his kids and they are connecting over it all the time. It has become not only an interest but a way of connecting with a faraway son. This project has been good for both of them.

BEWARE OF DEPRESSION CAUSED BY COVID

The important thing is, especially during covid 19,  to do something that will help you with your mental health. This time of isolation is tough on anyone, but particularly those with mental health issues. And apparently, those who have not previously been diagnosed with any sort of mental illness before are reacting negatively and needing help.

Therapists are busier than ever during covid. Online counseling has become the new norm. We are all on alert. 

Spending time on an activity that you enjoy can improve your mental health and wellbeing. Research shows that people with hobbies are less likely to suffer from stress, low mood, and depression.

NEW INTEREST BRINGS NEW JOY

Starting some sort of a new project could be a really good thing right now. It will give you something to be enthusiastic about and a reason to get up in the morning. It will give you a distraction from covid and all of its negative ramifications.

WHAT ABOUT ME? Being isolated is not as much of a negative thing for me as it is for some. I'm an introvert as well as an artist. My idea of a good day is to not see anyone or have to go anywhere. And I have many interests to choose from. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and I can't wait to get started on sewing, painting, writing, reading, or walking. Yes, covid is getting to me too. I have to avoid the news, it gets me down. I don't want to suggest that I am breezing through. But projects? I don't lack any.

 WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? Is covid getting to you? Do you need to reach out for help? How about projects? Have you tried anything new to capture your interest?

Don't give up! You are not alone. I am praying for you. There is hope for depression.




Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?