Covid Comforts - Take Care of Yourself!

 


What is a comfort to you when there is NOT a pandemic?

If you struggle with mental illness like I do, it helps to know what comforts you. It is called 'self-care' and at no time is it more important than now.

And even if you don't normally suffer from depression, you just might be experiencing a bit of it, especially if you live in Ontario, Canada where I live. We have had 3 long lockdowns which means stay home except for essential things like food and medical appointments. This has been tough.

So, stuck at home all this time, what are you doing to comfort yourself?

For me it is my same old activities which I usually love: sewing, writing, painting, walking, reading, watching TV, but honestly, I am getting a little tired of them at this point. Even praying is getting tedious. 

Hey, life is tedious right now for most of us who are not in the frontlines of this pandemic. I am thankful for that. But I am so thankful to be bored and not to be sick. I am so thankful to be at home and not in the hospital. I am so thankful to be retired and not a frontline worker. I am so thankful that my loved ones are all safe and healthy.

But still, the days are long and the news is dreary. And then there are the differences of opinion over covid and the restrictions, the discontentment with the government too.

BUT THIS WON'T LAST FOREVER

Never is it more important for us to take care of ourselves and our mental health.

So I want to encourage everyone reading this to take stock of your mental state right now and think of some things you can do for 'covid comfort'. Only you can answer this question.

Doing something enjoyable or comforting for yourself is the first step.

But another idea is to reach out to someone else like this woman in the picture is doing. I know a lot of people are more in touch with their family and friends these days via computer and phone. Just connecting with people can make you feel less isolated. Plus the act of reaching out to others, the idea that others are suffering too and that they can use a cheery phone call is good for us and good for them. 

WHAT ABOUT ME? I try to stay away from the news, it depresses me. I try to get outside every day and with my little Yorkie, that is absolutely necessary. I try to call or text someone every day. I am trying some new recipes. I continue with my other quiet pursuits. 

WHAT ABOUT YOU? How are you feeling today? How are you coping with this pandemic? Has Covid touched you or your family personally? What sort of 'self-care' are you attempting?

Don't give up! I am praying for you. There is hope for depression.  


Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

Joy and Sorrow - Together?