September is the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Or is it?




I loved that ad way back in 1996 that Staples did using the Christmas song "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year". You might want to check it out for a good giggle and a fun twist on the most wonderful time of the year.

Is this a good time of the year for you? In a lot of ways it is for me. I love the weather, cooler temperatures, no bugs. I feel invigorated and wanting to get things done that I didn't do during the summer. Summer is filled with visitors and outings and just enjoying the weather, so September seems to be the kick off for me to do other things around the house.

But there is also a downside for me at this time of year. My mood dips. It just happens. And apparently many people with any kind of mental illness, especially bipolar, find the change of seasons difficult.

There is a good article on the Mayo Clinic website (which I encourage you to use as a reliable source of medical information. They describe the symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder, also called SAD. In simple terms the change of season, especially the fall changes when they days are getting shorter and there is less light, causes some of these symptoms.

Signs and symptoms of SAD may include:

  • Feeling listless, sad or down most of the day, nearly every day
  • Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
  • Having low energy and feeling sluggish
  • Having problems with sleeping too much
  • Experiencing carbohydrate cravings, overeating and weight gain
  • Having difficulty concentrating
  • Feeling hopeless, worthless or guilty
  • Having thoughts of not wanting to live

As I write this it is the beginning of September. For the last few weeks the cravings for carbs has been uncontrollable. Finally a couple of days ago, I cut out sugar for awhile. That usually helps the cravings. But this always happens at this time of year. I am presently experiencing half of the symptoms listed above. 

Why am I sharing this now? To warn you I guess. But for me I have found that when I understand my symptoms I am better able to control them, or accept them. I switch gears. Make sure I am doing all the stuff I do to manage a healthy life (my strategies). 

Sunshine is helpful, lots of it even more helpful. Are you getting outside?

An old saying 'forewarned is forearmed' applies here. If you know it's coming you can brace yourself and take care of yourself, and protect others from your crashing mood.

Don't give up! There is hope for depression, even in the fall.




Popular posts from this blog

My Little Helper

The Twelve Days of Christmas: Day Nine